Immerse yourself in the vast expanse of Trek West territory with big blue skies by day and a canopy of stars by night. Enjoy the challenge of hiking through some of Australia’s most remote and untouched landscapes. At the end of each day you will be rewarded with spectacular sunsets to take you into your camp sites. The unique attention to detail creates an elegant atmosphere so you can relax in style and enjoy your fully prepared, delicious and healthy meals. Drinks are served for your enjoyment at the end of each day and with dinner.
The 70km hike will have you challenged, exhilarated and in awe of the raw beauty of the landscape. The trek follows the limestone escarpments through the Boodjamulla National Park and Little’s Range, leading you back to the comfort of the Stock Camp on Herbertvale Station. Spend the last evening in the comfort of a twin share spacious bell style glamping tent.
Click here to see the trail map. Limited to groups of 6 – 8 guests per booking. Each booking can be tailored to your individual group. The Big Loop is a Grade 3 as per the Australian Walking Track Grading System (AWTGS): National System. Please click here for details.
Click here for the list of requirements for The Big Loop Trail.
Package – $3850
- Transfers to and from Mt Isa
- 5 days trekking
- 8 hours of trekking and exploring each day
- Fully guided trek
- All meals provided ex Mt Isa
- Wine & Refreshments each day
- Tents and sleeping mats supplied
Exclusions: Flights, travel insurance, personal expenses, optional activities (and charter flights see below), accommodation and meals in Mount Isa.
Day 1: 5km
- Depart Mt Isa from the Red Earth Hotel at 9.30am or The Mt Isa Airport at 10.00am
- 190km drive to Camooweal where we will take a quick break.
- Picnic lunch on Herbertvale Station, a packed lunch is provided
- We will then be continuing to the start of The Pinnacle Trail and hiking into the first campsite.
- Arrive to a warm welcome, freshly prepared dinner, and a quick brief of the Big Loop.
Day 2: 22km
- All items including personal belongings you don’t wish to carry need to be loaded into the support vehicle.
- We will then set off into the sunrise for our first leg of the Big Loop Trail.
- Trek across the sparse spinifex hills, be amazed by the sheer expanse and never-ending views. Have your camera handy!
- Morning Tea served at Big Bend Waterhole.
- Our support vehicles will meet us at the Panoramic Lookout for lunch.
- Only 5km to go and we will be at the Stockyard Gorge.
- Time to explore the gorge, enjoy some time to take in the magic of the gorge and vibrant cliff face. A refreshing swim for those who want to brave the cold water, very refreshing and exhilarating not to mention the perfect relief for those tired feet.
- Dinner beneath the millions of stars, perfect for reflecting on a great day of hiking.
Day 3: 16km
- A scenic day of walking along the base of the escarpment.
- Morning Tea at Tree Snake Spring enjoy the cool fresh water running from the escarpment. A tranquil spot for morning tea.
- A change in landscape before we stop for lunch.
- Begin a gentle incline with some sharper hills and make camp at the head of Dry Gorge.
- Sunset drinks overlooking the gorge with never ending views.
- Enjoy the “shower with a view” a fitting reward for your efforts today
- Dinner served beneath the canopy of stars.
Day 4: 16km
- Some great photo opportunities, the sun will be just peaking over the escarpment behind us and shining on the valley below. We have plenty of time today to stop and enjoy the scenery.
- A special lunch location today – we will keep you in suspense
- Arrive at our campsite, Ridgeback located at the base of the range, be spoilt by another night of delicious dining under the stars and relaxing around our safari styled dinner table.
Day 5: 10km
- A nice easy 5km walk to the Lost City.
- Enjoy the Lost City and explore the streets of 530 million years old marine limestone formations. This is truly a hidden gem and a privilege for us to share it with you
- Lunch on the Lookout, a peaceful spot to view the landscape
- Vehicle transfers back to The Stock Camp
- Enjoy some time to relax before sunset drinks at the Old Station, a great spot to watch the sunset, be rewarded with champagne and a cheese platter to celebrate and reflect on your week.
- Group photo and return to The Stock Camp.
- Celebration Dinner
- Enjoy the luxury of the beautiful bell tents at The Stock Camp.
- Pack up vehicles and return to Mt Isa
- Morning tea at Herbertvale Station Homestead
- We will stop in Camooweal for a picnic lunch by the Georgina River
- Continue into Mt Isa
- Arrive Mt Isa by 4pm.
- There is an evening Qantas flight from Mt Isa to Brisbane.
- Alternatively book your own accommodation.
- Please let me know of your arrangements prior to the trek.
Optional extras: Brisbane to Stock Camp by charter plane. Contact us for costings.